Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The definition of REST!...

So, I was asking, what is rest...and a number of weeks ago now I actually had the chance to get away for half a day and pray and read the bible and contemplate what it is that rest is...well here are some of the words that I looked up and read about:

Rest=renewel
Renew: to make new
Reborn, redone, rebirth, refresh, reboot

All of these in relation to the mind, body and spirit.

I know that there are a lot of "re" words there but think about it, we are made in a state of rest so in effect we are redoing what had already been done, maybe even going back to how God wants us to be everey day.

So, as I read through the bible and looked up words in the concordance about rest I found these words that I focussed on; REst, restore, and restores.

Again words that are focussed on the preface "re" but I hadn't connected the concept of rest with restore, which seems ironic given that the word even starts with "rest".

The Psalms were great for this, he restores my soul, (ps 23) turning to God for the restoration of my soul (ps. 51) God will give you rest if you allow Him the room, step aside, let go and let Him work (mat. 11:28), all of these things make it sound like there isn't much that we can do...accept of course for let go, give up and let God take over. Funny but its almost harder to do what might be described as nothing than it is to set our minds to a specific tangible task. Take time out, rest your mind, avoid distractions, and think about God, and He WILL renew your spirit and soul.

No comments: