Monday, November 13, 2006

Holiness...?!

I'm reading a book called "The Chase" right now. Its about our personal persuit of holiness, our desire and efforts to become more like God in all that we do. I'm wrestling with it a lot. So much of it makes sense but at the same time I feel almost like if I pursue a lifestyle that looks more like Christ's that I may end up in a place of legalism. Not to say that I don't try and live like this already, I think it might be the extra focus this book seems to place on do's and don'ts as Christ calls us to.
We all know we are called to live righteous lives, but do we ever really think about what that would look like? And those of us who do choose to live that way have to be extremely careful not to make others feel like they are being judged for not living as we/they may think is applicable to their own personal lives.
I'm looking forward to God working in my heart through this book, I suppose the more I wrestle the more God is working right?

Pastor Dave

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree. I was reading something the other day that stressed how this generation is "watering down" the true gospel to make it feel more comfortable for ourselves and more inviting to non-believers. When something seems too rigid, too intolerant, or too...whatever...we do what we can to make it sound more politically correct, loving, tolerating and understanding of particular circumstances. So, what does this all mean, where do we go from here??

David McVety said...

I guess there are 2 options, we either water it down or we stand firm....but if we are going to stand firm then we need to do so as Christ would have, without judging, loving everyone but speaking truth. Sometimes its hard though because I feel convicted about something and then I can potentially project that conviction onto someone else. I am not wrong to suggest they think and pray about something but I need to let the Holy Spirit work in them to convict them.